Weather-Related Campus Closing Procedures
The Director of Physical Facilities will consult the Chancellor and Chief of Police regarding the closing and safety of the campus. Under extreme circumstances and in the interest of safety, the administration may alter this procedure. Cancellation of classes includes all IU and Purdue classes on the IU Kokomo campus, as well as all auxiliary sites.
The Chancellor or her designee will make the decision of the closing or cancellation of classes by the following timeframe:
- 5:30 a.m. – campus closed all day and evening
- 9:30 a.m. – classes beginning at or after 11:30 a.m. are canceled; campus offices close at noon
- 3:30 p.m. – classes beginning at or after 5:30 p.m. are canceled
The Chancellor will notify:
- IU Executive Vice President for University Academic Affairs
- Director of Media & Marketing
- Members of IU Kokomo Cabinet
IU-Notify will be used to inform students, faculty, staff, adjunct faculty, and Purdue Polytechnic Kokomo the campus is closed. Please note you must sign-up and keep your information current.
- Log into One.IU
- Search for Emergency Notification Settings. Choose start to change your information.
When the campus is closed only ‘essential personnel,’ as identified by the Director of Physical Facilities, should remain on campus. Due to safety precautions, other employees must seek permission from their supervisors to be on campus.
The Vice Chancellor for Students Affairs and Enrollment Management may also send an email to all students, notifying them of the cancellation of classes or closing of the campus.