Staff Council By Laws
To increase the sense of identity, recognition, and worth of each non-academic staff member in his/her relationship to the University,
To identify concerns relating to non-academic staff and to seek their solutions,
To provide a channel of communication for staff with administration and faculty,
To promote the development and adoption of policies, which will aid in retaining highly qualified personnel,
To integrate the staff into existing Indiana University affairs,
To establish, promote, and financially support scholarships, university-wide activities, projects, workshops, and seminars,
To create a stronger bond between the campus and the community through our campus-wide strategic plan.
Staff Council funds can be approved for projects for the benefit of the surrounding community and/or other communities in need by a majority vote of staff council members present.
Eligibility for Membership: All non-academic staff on the campus who are affiliated with the IU system on appointment status, either full-time or part-time, are eligible for membership in Staff Council. New employees or non-members are welcome to attend Staff Council meetings at any time.
The Staff Council bi-annually elects from its member to fill offices that serve for two (2) years or until their respective successors have been elected and seated. The offices are President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
A. Eligibility for Office: who may vote:
All members of Staff Council are eligible for election to the offices stated in Section II, and Staff Council members may nominate or cast ballots in the election of any officer of Staff Council. Staff Council members must be present at the designated meeting to be eligible to vote for officers.
B. Election of Officers; when held:
A slate of officers is presented at the May Staff Council meeting. Nominations are accepted via e-mail prior to this meeting. Elections are conducted at the June meeting of Staff Council by casting ballots. The Nominating Committee tallies the ballots, and the results are announced via e-mail.
C. Duties of the President:
1. To preside at all meetings of Staff Council.
2. To prepare meeting agendas and designate meeting locations for Staff Council.
3. To appoint ad hoc committees of Staff Council.
4. To serve on the Administrative Council and represent Indiana University Kokomo campus at the campus-wide Staff Council meetings.
D. Duties of the Vice President:
1. In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall preside over meetings.
2. In the Absence of the secretary, the Vice President acts as recording secretary.
Note: President or vice president or both attend all committee meetings.
E. Duties of the Secretary:
1. To keep minutes of regular and special meetings of Staff Council and to place a copy on reserve in the Library/Archives as well as distributing a copy to each Staff Council member. Also, keep a record of each member’s attendance at Staff Council meetings.
F. Duties of the Treasurer:
1. The Treasurer is responsible for all funds of Staff Council and reports each fund status verbally at each meeting.
2. The Treasurer compiles a written Treasurer’s Report to be submitted to Staff Council.
G. Term of Office:
The term of office is two (2) fiscal years. If at the end of the two (2) years there are no other nominations at the time of elections, then the current member in that office may serve additional terms if he/she chooses.
A vacancy is created when the officer is no longer a member of Staff Council, or requests to be relieved of duties. All vacancies are to be filled by election at the next Staff Council meeting.
Members and chairpersons of Staff Council and its committees are selected on a volunteer basis.
B. The term of Office:
The term of office is one (1) fiscal year concurrent with the term of the officers.
Member vacancies are filled through appointing by a Staff Council chairperson.
D. Staff Council Committees:
1. Bylaws Committee: The Bylaws Committee consists of no less than three (3) staff members. This committee has the responsibility of reviewing the bylaws to make recommendations to Staff Council as to needed changes and/or additions.
2. Nominating Committee: The Nominating Committee consists of no less than three (3) staff members. This committee has the responsibility of selecting a slate of officers of recommended nominees at the May meeting for election at the June meeting of Staff Council.
3. Fundraising Committee: The Fund-raising Committee brings the Staff Council recommendations for fund-raising events.
6. Executive Committee: The Executive Committee consists of current officers and committee chairpersons. This committee meets in the event of the Deactivation/Reactivation of Staff Council.
4. Budget Committee: The Budget Committee aids Staff Council in being fiscally responsible according to the bylaws and mission statement.
5. Other Staff Council Committees: Other Staff Council committees may be established as deemed necessary.
E. University Committees:
The Staff Council President and Vice President will request representation by at least one (1) staff member on all University Committees.
Staff Council has regularly scheduled meetings. In accordance with Trustee Policy Revision of Form D-24, members may be granted time off from their University Job duties without loss of pay up to five (5) hours in any one (1) month to include quarterly meetings and not to exclude committee meetings. The meetings are held monthly through the academic year according to the agenda.
B. Committee Meetings:
Committees meet monthly or as needed and present material for the regularly scheduled meetings.
Any employee may present an item to be considered for agenda of a regularly scheduled meeting. These items should be submitted to the President or Vice President no less than one (1) week prior to the next Staff Council meeting; agenda should be distributed no less than one (1) week before the next meeting.
Voting on all matters, other than the election of officers, of Staff Council is by voice vote unless a ballot is requested.
E. Special Meetings:
The President or Vice President has the authority to call special meetings when deemed necessary.
Motions may be proposed at any time and require a majority vote of Staff Council members present. Each member has the right to request that a motion
Staff Council has a commitment to maintain an endowed scholarship fund through the IU Foundation.
B. Additional Scholarships:
Additional scholarships can be established on an as-needed basis by a majority vote of Staff Council members present.
C. University Projects:
Staff Council funds can be approved for projects for the benefit of staff development by a majority vote of Staff Council members present.