Zoom: Teaching Remotely
Creating a Class Meeting Room in Zoom
You will create a meeting room in Zoom for each class which will allow you to keep your recordings separate.
- Login to Zoom at iu.edu.
- Select Meetings on left Menu.
- Select the Schedule a New Meeting button.
- Change Topic to “Class Name Class Meeting” e.g. W131 Class Meeting.
- Do not enter times.
- Check Recurring Meeting box.
- Change Recurrence to “No fixed time”.
- Video: Select ON for Host.
- Audio: Select the BOTH radio button.
- Meeting Options:
- Check Enable waiting room
- Check Only authenticated users can join
- IF you use Breakout Rooms then check Breakout room pre-assign.
- Scroll down and click Save.
- Scroll up until you see “Invite Attendees Join URL” Highlight the URL and copy it using CTRL C.
To change your settings for a Zoom meeting
- On your Meetings tab click on the meeting you wish to change
- Scroll to the bottom and select Edit this Meeting.
Ensure Removed Participants are Unable to Rejoin your Meeting
While you are still in Zoom
- Select Settings on the left menu.
- Scroll down and in the "In Meeting (Basic)" section, ensure that
Allow removed participants to rejoin is toggled off.
Add Modules & Kaltura Media Gallery to your Canvas Course Navigation
If you have not used Modules or Kaltura Media Gallery in your class, you will need to add these to the navigation.
- Login to Canvas at iu.edu and select your course.
- Go to Settings and select the Navigation
- Scroll down until you find Modules.
- Click the 3 dots to the right of Modules and click Enable.
- Scroll down until you find Kaltura Media Gallery and click Enable.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click Save.
Add the Class Meeting to Canvas (Zoom link and phone number)
- In Canvas select Modules on the left navigation.
- Select the + Modules button to add a new Module call it “Online Class Meeting Room” and click Add Module button.
- To give students the link to the Zoom meeting.
- Click on the + to the right of the name to add an external link.
- In the Add drop down box select External Tool and scroll down and select
- In the Zoom URL box delete the content and use CTRL V to paste your Zoom meeting URL.
- Change Page Name to “Class Meeting Room”
- Check the Load in new tab box and select Add Item.
- To give students the phone number and meeting ID to the Zoom meeting.
- Go back to the Zoom meeting and select Copy the Invitation to find the Zoom Telephone number for your meeting highlight it and use CTRL C to copy it.
- Add another item to the Module by clicking + to the right of the Module name.
- In the Add drop down box select Text Header.
- In the Header box type “Phone” and use CTRL V to paste the phone number then type in the Meeting ID.
- Click Add Item.
- Publish your Module by clicking on the button on the right. Make sure there is a green check mark next to all items.
- Your students can now click on the link to join you in your class meeting room or use the phone number and meeting ID to call into the meeting if they do not have a laptop or device.
Prior to Zoom meeting time - Set up PowerPoint for sharing
You can include PowerPoint presentations as part of a shared desktop view by changing a setting that lets you position and resize the slide show window. To present a PowerPoint slide show in a window:
- In PowerPoint, click Slide Show.
- Choose Set Up Slide Show.
- Choose Browsed by an individual (window).
When you play your slide show, it will run in a window that you can move and resize.
Managing your Meeting [Teaching in Zoom]
Tools are available to assist you in controlling your Zoom meeting.
These tools are available to meeting hosts - in order to have access to these tools, you'll need to be logged in to Zoom. For help with logging in to Zoom, view the video Logging in to Zoom using Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Your students will go to your Zoom Class Meeting by clicking on meeting link in Canvas. Instructors should go to zoom.iu.edu and login with their username and passphrase. Select Meetings then to the right of the class meeting you wish to join click START.
- When meeting room opens make sure your microphone and speaker are on (bottom left) –make sure there is no line through the speaker icon on the tool bar. If there is click to unmute or start video.
- Click on Manage Participants icon – to see which students have joined the meeting. They will be in the Waiting Room. If you hover over the students name you will see the Admit and Remove buttons. Click on Admit if this is one of your students and Remove if this is not your student.
- Click on Chat to open the chat box – now students can type questions or let you know if they have questions, technical difficulties or let you know if they can hear you. In order to restrict what is posted in Chat click the 3 dots to the right of the chat box. Select Host Only. Students will only be able to chat with you. If they post something inappropriate only you will see it.
- Click on Record and Record to the Cloud to start recording your lecture.
- Make sure that your PowerPoint is open on your desktop. (Anything you wish to share must be on your desktop.)
- Click on the Share icon on the Zoom tool bar and then select your PowerPoint when you are ready to present and click on Share.
- When you are finished presenting or at any time you wish to stop to ask students questions click on the Stop Share button. (It may have moved to the top of the screen.) To resume sharing your PowerPoint click on Share.
- At the end of class click on End Meeting to end the meeting.
Kaltura Media Gallery
After your zoom meeting your recording will be uploaded to Kaltura automatically. You will receive an email when the Zoom recording is ready. Follow the instructions below to add this to your Canvas course.
- On the left navigation select Kaltura Media Gallery.
- Click on the +Add Media button.
- Scroll down and click the check box next to the video you wish to publish for your class.
- Scroll up and click Publish to put it into the Kaltura Media Gallery.
- Your students can now see the class recordings by going to Kaltura Media Gallery.
- Keep Teaching iu.edu this website has multiple resources to assist you with teaching remotely.
- For a consultation or assistance please email CTLA – email@example.com - We can do Zoom consultations and assist with problems you might encounter.