The purpose of these guidelines is to establish an effective means to encourage capable, mature students to return to Indiana University Kokomo after they have achieved poorly (i.e., below 2.0 on 4.0 grading scale) during an earlier attempt at higher education within Indiana University. The spirit of this is to provide a fresh start for Indiana University student just as is accorded to students who transfer to Indiana University Kokomo from other universities.
- The Indiana University Kokomo Forgiveness Policy applies only to Indiana University students pursuing their first undergraduate degree. These students must have been away from the IU system for the past three calendar years (36 months). Implementation of this policy will begin Fall, 1997.
- Students must apply for invocation of this policy before the end of their first semester of their return to IUK. Students will not be able to use the forgiveness policy on any grades given because of academic dishonesty. Before the student can receive forgiveness, the registrar’s office will need to evaluate the student’s record for any grades given because of academic dishonesty.
- The academic unit will evaluate the student’s transcript. If the applicant meets the criteria stated in (1) and (2), all courses previously taken will remain on the transcript. In general, only courses with grades of A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, P and S can be counted towards degree completion. Students must also be advised that individual academic units at IUK and other IU campuses may vary in their implementation of this and similar policies.
- If the applicant meets the criteria stated in (1) and (2), the student will start with a fresh GPA. From that point on, all the rules of academic probation and dismissal (for that school) will apply. After petition approval, the student must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours at IUK after his/her return in order to meet the graduation residency requirement.
- The policy does not apply to courses earned towards a first baccalaureate degree if the student is pursuing a second degree.
- Invocation of the forgiveness option does not preclude a student from using other available course-specific grade replacement options for work taken subsequent to re-enrollment.
- Forgiveness is only available for courses taken at Indiana University. Academic units retain the right to consider records of performance from other universities in determining admission to the unit, granting of honors, and/or other matters.
Proposed by Admissions Committee (1996-1997), April 28, 1997
Ratified by Faculty Senate, IUK, April 28, 1997
Changes made in Fall 2014 to bring into compliance with IU policies