Pre-Med: How Do You Become a Doctor?
An effective medical doctor is an empathetic leader, a fantastic problem-solver, and a critical thinker. If you know in your heart that your calling is to care for the sick and help people with their health, you can go pre-med at Indiana University Kokomo. If you’ve always wondered how you become a doctor, IU Kokomo’s School of Sciences has a seat with your name on it. You can start at IU Kokomo and gain a solid foundation through our small class sizes and chances to work closely with faculty mentors. Then, when you graduate, you’ll have a graduate application for med school that stands out from the rest. With IU Kokomo’s reasonable tuition rates, you’ll minimize your student debt – which your future self will thank you for.
While the pursuit of becoming a doctor is usually all about helping people, it doesn't’t hurt that the job outlook and salary for physicians and surgeons are great. The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that the average annual salary for this field is $208,000. Growth for this field through 2026 is estimated at 13 percent which is faster than average.
5 Things to Keep in Mind As a Pre-Med Major
While it can often be overwhelming to think about your future, we’re here to help you get to your goals. Here are 3 things to keep in mind when you decide to work towards entry to medical school:
- Working with faculty on research is invaluable. Imagine putting together your graduate school application and including a list of published works. This is a reality for many of our graduates! You’ll have the opportunity to work alongside our highly-knowledgeable faculty and see your name in top journals in your field. Think that might help you stand out? We do!
- Your academic advisor will become your best friend. Knowing and understanding the requirements for your undergraduate degree at IU Kokomo is important but so is understanding how to meet the application requirements for graduate school. Your academic advisor will be a constant in your life, there for every step. An academic advisor is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to acquiring all your credits, taking the right courses, and fitting it all into your schedule.
- You can major in anything…but we have some recommendations. As the IU School of Medicine says, a student with any degree can matriculate into med school. However, if you’re interested in science, we have some suggestions of majors to help prepare you best. Majoring in biochemistry, biological and physical sciences, or biology at IU Kokomo will help you feel well-prepared.
- You can earn your degree from IU School of Medicine following your undergraduate. For reasonable tuition, you can start and get your foundation at IU Kokomo then apply for the IU School of Medicine.
- Keep your eyes peeled for information on the STEPS program. IU Kokomo offers a program called STEPS in collaboration with the North Central Indiana Area Health Education Center for pre-healthcare professions students. In this exclusive program, you’ll have the opportunity to practice your interviewing skills, learn more about the admissions process, go on tours of healthcare facilities, and more! Keep an eye out for information on applying to this program because only 5 students are admitted per academic year.
Looking for a way to spend time with your peers? Check out the School of Sciences Pre-Professional Club!
Ready to get started?
As surreal as it may seem, your dream of becoming a doctor is closer than you think. To get started on your journey, the first step is to apply. If you have questions or concerns about preparing for graduate school, don’t hesitate to reach out to the School of Sciences. We’re here and happy to help.